Thursday, April 25, 2013

V is for Voice


“This is Laurie,” Justin said with an amused sigh in his voice. “He’s Henri’s new apprentice.”

“Does this mean that you’ve finally outgrown your position?” Aidan asked with a chuckle. Justin’s face turned red for a moment, embarrassed before he regained his composure.

“Laurie, this is Finn and ... Toby,” he introduced, hesitating when he reached Toby’s name. The name ‘Caspian’ hung in the air unspoken and it did little to make Toby feel any more comfortable.

“Nice to meet you, sirs,” Laurie replied politely, extending his hand toward Finn first and then Toby. “I apologize about the kitchen. I didn’t know that the ‘clean oven’ spell would backfire.”

“Is that what you were trying to do?” Justin said, shaking his head. “The next time you want to try out a new spell without supervision, don’t. Just wait for me. I’ve been around enough wizards that I know a thing or two about spells.”

Justin’s words were odd to Toby and for the first time he noticed the amber color of Justin’s eyes. “You’re a Wolf,” he blurted out.

“That he is,” a familiar voice said as Henri slipped into the room, handing a paper bag to Laurie. “A member of the Main Pack, actually.”

“A disowned member,” Justin grumbled, although the red color was back and he looked uncomfortable. This was clearly not a topic that Justin liked to talk about.

“I wouldn’t say disowned. I would say ‘gracefully abdicated from the family’,” Henri grinned, ruffling Justin’s hair affectionately.

“That means the same thing,” Justin said sourly.

“But it has a better ring to it,” Henri chuckled.


Word Count: 7440

April is winding down fast! Just when I think I'll have more than enough time to finish my Camp goal the days rapidly slip by. I'm at the point where it's a love/work relationship with the story. I love it, I really do, but every time I sit down to write I think of only a few words before my mind wanders. I think it might be time to break out "Write or Die". It's what really helped me during NaNo last year. It's amazing how much I can spit out when I have a time limit.

1 comment:

  1. Nice way to incorporate both challenges! Great. And good luck with both :-)

    ReplyDelete