Friday, April 19, 2013

Q is for Quietly



Justin turned to Toby and paused, visibly shocked. Toby knew the thought that was running through the man’s head before he ever uttered a word. Caspian, he thought. He’s alive? Justin took a breath, shaken by Toby’s appearance but he forced a smile onto his face as he offered his hand to Toby. “It’s nice to meet you,” he said quietly.

Why does everyone react to you this way? Toby thought, hoping that Caspian would hear it.
A long time ago I was in trouble. A pack of Wolves had separated me from the Clan. Justin protected me. My death must have been hard on him.

That was an understatement judging by the emotion on Justin’s face. He looked as though he was torn between embracing Toby or keeping his composure. It was a battle that was hard won, especially as Toby felt Justin’s hand tense in his grasp. “Nice to meet you, too,” he said, embarrassed.

“Does Henri know?” Justin asked, turning to Aidan.

Aidan nodded. “He didn’t seem at all surprised when we met him on the street. Somehow, I believe he has known all along.”

Justin cursed under his breath. “He should have told me,” he said, his voice thick with emotion before he glared at Aidan. “You should have said something. This-”

“It was safer if you didn’t know,” Aidain said simply.

That only seemed to anger Justin further. “Safer? I’m not a child anymore. I don’t need anyone to protect me. If you knew that he was alive then you should have mentioned it. Henri should have told me.” He clenched his teeth hard and it was clear he was keeping himself from raising his voice.

“Does Harp know?”

Aidan sighed. “We can talk about it when Henri comes back. In the meantime, don’t you have a student to look after?”


Word Count: 6522


Words aren't going to be coming today. Life has interrupted my regularly scheduled broadcast. Tomorrow it should resume and I will have over 7k. That's a promise!

1 comment:

  1. Hello, Catherine! Great scene here. Good luck with your writing reaching your word count goal!

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete