Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The First Post is Always the Hardest

A blank page holds so much opportunity. Anything could be written there: A love story, a poem about trees, a grocery list. Yet, the first page is always the most difficult. It shapes all of the pages that comes after it, setting the tone for the future. It's a bit daunting to try to predict what future writings will be like before they have ever truly been dreamed.

I have to admit I feel a little bit of anxiety whenever I sit down to that first page, to write that first word, to start that first chapter.  I never really know how to approach it. Should I tear the bandaid off and dive right in or should I slowly peel the strip and cautiously consider every single word? Is one of those ways the best? Will anyone know if I wrote something in an hour versus a week?

No. Words come - fast or slow, and no one can tell which ones arrived at which speed. A story is a story and no matter the first page (which can always be revised and rewritten), a good story sticks.

This blog will be a collection of stories that I am working on. They will be in various states of edits and revisions. I welcome all critiques and feedback as that helps in shaping the story.I will also be tracking my progress as I participate in various writing challenges as well as documenting my on going search to find an agent eager to take my manuscripts to the next level.

It's an exciting adventure and I look forward to sharing it with everyone.

-Catherine

Q5W7G5X8A5TT

No comments:

Post a Comment